Re: <video> and <audio>

On Sep 8, 2009, at 9:45 AM, Adrian Bateman wrote:

> However, this means the web developer has to make the judgement
> about where
> the best switchover point is without knowing what else the device is
> doing.
> In this case we guess that if the device has a network bandwidth of
> 256kbps
> then it should play the 192kbps stream.
>
> <video ...>
>  <source src="video64.mp4" type="video/mp4" feature="mediabandwidth:
> 64">
>  <source src="video192.mp4" type="video/mp4" feature="mediabandwidth:
> 192">
> </video>

This is an interesting idea, but note that it doesn't work with the
current <video> source selection algorithm, which is to select the
first source that the UA believes it can handle. So for the markup
above, a browser is supposed to use the lower bitrate video even if it
can handle the higher bitrate. To work as expected, you have to list
the options from highest bit rate to lowest.

Also, if you want UAs to display *something* even if they think all
bandwidths available are too low, then the final option needs to not
list a bandwidth at all, so it won't be excluded. Another possibility
is to change the source match algorithm to have some special case for
this, for example require that if all sources have bandwidth that is
too high, then try the lowest of the available bandwidths and see if
any sources match, and so on. This would have to work even if there
are differences other than bandwidth, such as choice of codec. And it
could get very complicated if the "features" are more complex

Overall, it seems like this approach is potentially error-prone for
authors, since the source matching algorithm is not designed to deal
with hints, as opposed to binary pass/fail conditions. It is a first-
match algorithm, not a best-fit algorithm.

Regards,
Maciej