Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

Shelley Powers wrote:
> I can understand if a page they need access to is broken in the new
> browser, but chances are they also report the problem to the web site.

No, actually chances are they don't.

> Or they use multiple browsers, new and old. I currently use about 7
> different browsers myself.

You're not a typical user.  Honestly, you're not.  Neither is anyone
else on this list.

> Do you have citations that you can give that most uses when faced with
> one broken page after using a new browser, assume the browser is broken
> and never come back to it?

I didn't say never.  I said low chance.

Unfortunately, I do not have data that I can make public here....

That said, I don't think we're the only implementor to have had this
experience; you could of course assume that we're all lying about it if
you want.

> If it doesn't do well for all of your needs, true. But if I'm trying a
> new browser, and most pages work fine, and only one is broken, I give
> the browser a benefit of a doubt.

You're not a typical user.  This should be engraved in flaming letters
on the inside of your eyelids for all those cases when the discussion is
about how users react.

> Again, though, most people who try a brand new browser are not the type
> to be dissuaded from one broken page. The people who are, are the ones
> still using IE6 and Netscape 4.

There are also such people, yes.  And then there are such people who
have the browser changed for them by a friend and then complain that it
doesn't work and want it changed back.

> And this is getting off topic again. This thread is about SVG and how to
> gracefully handle the namespaced elements that are validly in the SVG.]

Sure; I just want us to be clear on why one of the proposed ways of
doing such handling (making various malformed SVG constructs make the
rest of the webpage disappear) is not acceptable.

-Boris