Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 16:14, Shelley Powers wrote:
>
>> Bits left out of the SVG file will also make themselves known, very
>> quickly.
>

> There's existing content out there that contain inexplicably
> copy-pasted partial SVG in text/html. Presumably this is pure cargo
> cult and the authors don't even expect vector graphics to appear.
> However, if browsers wreck the rest of those pages, the user
> perception would be that the new browser doesn't work.
>
> (URLs in Hixie's posts to this list.)

I would imagine that a person making this mistake, and then forming a
judgment that the new browser is broken, will probably find many other
ways to "break" the browser.

We can bend over backwards, trying to wrap people in cotton wool in
order to protect browser makers from having to deal with these
situations, to the point that we ultimately remove any possibility of
innovation or creativity from the web. After all, horrors, any
innovation might introduce the potential for someone to copy and paste
incorrectly.

People screw up copying and pasting CSS incorrectly, but we don't decide
to throw out CSS. They can do the same with JavaScript applications, but
we don't decide to throw these out either.

No matter what we do, someone will muck it up. I'd rather keep the
innovation, and the capability, and deal with the
monkeys-playing-with-a-mouse as they arise.

Shelley