Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

Jeff Schiller wrote:
> Maciej wrote:
>> (46 errors, specifically about the use of attributes from foreign
>> namespaces in a way that is not allowed by SVG 1.1 itself.)
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?  Actually that use of namespaced
> attributes and elements is perfectly valid from what I can see.

According to the SVG spec, yes, any namespaced attributes or elements
can be used anywhere.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/extend.html

> "Attribute "sodipodi:version" is not a valid attribute"
>
> Why?  The sodipodi namespace and prefix have been declared on the root element?
>
> Is this just a bug in the valdiator?

I suspect the reason for the discrepency is because the W3C validator
uses DTD based validation, which has inherent limitations in it's
ability to express conformance requirements when namespaces and prefixes
are involved.  i.e. There's no way to express in a DTD that any element
or attribute with any unknown prefix in any namespace is allowed.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/