Where people have discussions (was Re: The History of <aside> for sidebars)

This one is definitely with co-Chair hat on...

On Sep 4, 2009, at 4:08 PM, John Foliot wrote:

> If ever there was a damning indictment of WHAT WG's use of the IRC
> back-channel to 'make decisions' without due consultation, here it is.
>
> It is now water long-gone under the bridge, but even recent discussion
> (http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090904#l-322 ) shows that
> this
> lesson has not been learned.
>
> IF YOU HAVE PROPOSALS - POST THEM PUBLICLY (and at both your club
> and W3C
> mailing lists) - play by your own rules!

Just to make it clear to everyone:

We prefer people to make technical proposals in official Working Group
channels, such as the public-html mailing list or w3c bugzilla.
However, people are free to discuss technical issues regarding HTML5
wherever they wish, even if that conversation involves the editor. And
even if that discussion is on a logged IRC channel, on twitter, in
blog comments, or on a private invite-only mailing list. It's
healthier if a lot of that discussion happens here, but you don't have
to stop thinking about HTML5 in other media.

If anyone has a technical disagreement with something in the spec, or
a question about why something works a certain way, please do voice
it. If you have a complaint about where people hold their
conversations, then I would ask you to please hold your fire.

Now, it's possible for conversation to retreat so much into fragmented
spaces that it becomes impossible to follow the work and participate
meaningfully. If that actually happens in a concrete case, please
point it out to the chairs. However, I don't think that is happening
on the current round of discussing <aside> and the other structural
elements. I see lots of healthy technical discussion on the list. So
let's focus more on that constructive technical discussion and less on
process issues.

If anyone wants to discuss this topic further, please follow up
privately or on www-archive.

Thanks,
Maciej