Re: FPWD Review Request: HTML+RDFa

Hi Sam,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Sam Ruby<rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>> All that an RDFa parser needs to know is what the mapping is between
>> some token and its full URI, and it really doesn't care whether the
>> mechanism to do this is:
>>
>>  prefix="dc http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
>>
>> or:
>>
>>  prefix="dc=http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
>>
>> or:
>>
>>  prefix-dc="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
>>
>> or:
>>
>>  xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
>
> I'd like to suggest that we review the document[1] as presented.  I see
> section 4.3 describes the fourth option, but I don't see the others being
> proposed at all.

Right...because no-one is proposing the others in this document.

I was trying to explain why RDFa cannot be regarded as being "layered"
on top of XML namespaces, because it doesn't actually require XML
namespaces.

RDFa only requires a prefix mapping mechanism, and this could just as
easily have been @xmlns-dc, @banana:dc, @samruby="dc=..." or something
else entirely.

It just so happens that the W3C already used the xmlns-based attribute
naming mechanism to create tokens, so we went with that.

But that is the beginning and end of RDFa's relationship with XML namespaces.

I don't know what else to do to explain this really simple point.

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane