Re: video: earliest possible position changes

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 03:29:05 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Simon Pieters wrote:
> > >
> > > The spec says in
> > > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#dom-media-starttime
> > >
> > > "When the earliest possible position changes,"
> > >
> > > Is it considered to be changed when going from unknown to known?
> >
> > For the sake of argument let's say yes. I don't think you can really tell
> > either way, though.
>
> yes: currentTime == startTime for the first timeupdate event.
> no: currentTime != startTime for the first timeupdate event.

currentTime == startTime is always true for the first timeupdate event,
since the first thing that happens once enough of the media data has been
fetched to determine the duration of the media resource is that the
currentTime is set to the earliest possible position (as part of the
resource loading algorithm).

> I take it that the first is intended, then. It would be good if this was
> more explicitly noted.

Done.