Re: Implementor feedback (dialog and datepickers)

2009-09-02 17:11, Jonas Sicking skrev:

 > However the same effect (alternate voices)
 > can be accomplished using the 'voice-family' property [1] in
 > UAs that support CSS.

Yes, CSS would be the means to implement the actual voice changes, but
we still need semantics to hook into. Without a dedicated element for
dialog

2009-09-02 18:13, Leif Halvard Silli skrev:
> Lars Gunther On 09-09-02 13.10:
> Even if your students change <dl> to <dialog>, they will still stumble
> has no meaning what so ever inside a dialog. Thus they will be unable to
> understand dialog unless they know <dl> first.

Yes, just like they would need to know why "links" are called
"<a>nchors" even though we today do not use <a name="foo"> anymore. But
a 2 minute history lesson is doable. Tweaking ordered lists,
block-quotes, quotes and cite elements is not. Example of such IMHO
convoluted markup (that also feeds into the cite element debate) at:
http://tantek.com/presentations/2005/03/elementsofxhtml/#slide22

The most intuitive markup I could think of would otherwise look
something LIKE this:

<exchangeofwords>
   <speaker>LAERTES</speaker>
   <words class="aside">And yet 'tis almost 'gainst my conscience.</words>
   <speaker>HAMLET</speaker>
   <words>Come, for the third, Laertes: you but dally;<br>
     I pray you, pass with your best violence;<br>
     I am afeard you make a wanton of me.</words
   <speaker>LAERTES</speaker>
   <words>Say you so? come on.</words
   <note>They play</note>
   <speaker>OSRIC</speaker>
   <words>Nothing, neither way.</words
   <speaker>LAERTES
   <words>Have at you now!</words>
   <note>LAERTES wounds HAMLET; then in scuffling, they change rapiers,
and HAMLET wounds LAERTES</note>
</exchangeofwords>

Then I'd use CSS to make the word "aside" be spoken out aloud as well
fore clarity's sake:

@media speech {
     words.aside:before {
         content: "aside";
         voice-family: narrator;
     }
     .aside {
         voice-stress: reduced;
     }
/*
Since CSS does not have a content selector, one would probably need to
add classes or something in order to set voices to the correct lines.
Pseudo-markup using JQuery syntax follows:
*/
     speaker:contains("HAMLET") + words {
         voice-family: hamlet;
     }
     /* etc */
}

But I'd guess there is no real desire to open up the great dialog debate
that was on the WHATWG list a few years ago.

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/