Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5

On Sep 1, 2009, at 13:10 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:55:47 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Useful for what? I don't yet understand what anyone needs this
>>> element for.
>>
>> Yeah, unlike the others this one doesn't strike me as making the
>> cut. As currently specified it doesn't see to me to be up to
>> representing all but the simplest form of dialogue. You need more
>> structure than that for a screenplay, and even a chat log requires
>> things like joins/parts. This seems best left up to a form of
>> microdata.
>
> Apparently Microdata is not capable of expressing such things as you
> cannot associate an item with a DOM node of some sorts. And if you
> want to mark up a chat log it seems like you might want that as a
> line can contain an image, URL, video, emphasized text, etc. So
> textContent would not be sufficient.
>
> Like HTML5's Super Friends I also think that <article> should
> probably be removed and I suggested Microdata could be used instead.
> However, the same problem exists there. I think we should change
> Microdata to address this case.

Yup. But I can see how in a number of cases you'd want the textContent
though, for one it helps with creating data that flows nicely (as
shown in the examples).

Could adding an itemvaluetype attribute help (we can pick a better
name later)? itemvaluetype = textContent | childNodes | ... defaulting
to the former?

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/