Re: Questions arising from ARIA/HTML5 integration

On Aug 24, 2009, at 15:35, Steven Faulkner wrote:

>> The conclusion I drew when developing the schema prototype was that
>> these have native semantics that needs to be exposed to AT by the
>> browser without AT in between and that it doesn't make sense to set
>> the role attribute in these cases.
> Can you explain a bit more what you mean here?

I mean e.g. <input type=file> and <input type=date> have semantics and
those semantics could even be exposed to AT. However, the exposure may
have to happen by exposing more than one accessible tree node per DOM
node and there's no single ARIA role that is sufficient for exposing
either.

> What i would suggest is that there is a place for the use of ARIA on
> native elements where appropriate until such time that these
> elements are correctly exposed by browsers through accessibility APIs.

This makes sense for <nav> vs. role=navigation, but what ARIA
attributes would you put on <input type=date> to expose it to AT in a
UA that doesn't support <input type=date> (i.e. where it degrades to
<input type=text>)?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi