From: Richard Ishida [mailto:ishida@w3.org]
Sent: 26 November 2009 20:08
To: 'Mark Davis ☕'
Cc: 'Paul Cotton'; 'public-html@w3.org'; 'public-i18n-core@w3.org'
Subject: RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals

This goes back to a topic of discussion on an earlier html thread.  Basically, if there is no lang attribute on the html tag, one might be able to look to the http header or the meta element for a default *text-processing* language for the document, ie. the initial language of the text.  Note that text can only be in one language at a time.  If the http header information is used, and that has a value of 'fr', then it is reasonable to assume that the language of the initial text in the document is French. If, however, the value of the http header is 'fr,de,es', you can't say with any certainty what the language of the initial text should be, and the proposal on the list was to therefore assume no language – which is equivalent to lang="".

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)