Re: XMLNS in Inkscape and other editors

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name> wrote:
> I think I may have failed to make my point. The HTML standard can just
> as easily say "A HTTP server MUST serve HTML documents as text/html."

Such a requirement is unlikely to be implemented by any of the major browsers.

> Accepting malformed documents is great and all, but how far is too
> far?

As far as content sniffing is concerned, the consensus balance of the
security and compatibility concerns appears to have brought us to the
algorithm described in
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abarth-mime-sniff>.  For a
discussion of why, pleas see
<http://www.adambarth.com/papers/2009/barth-caballero-song.pdf>.
Boris would like me to tweak a couple steps in the algorithm, which I
plan to do at some point.

As for the namespace issues, I'm not an expert on that topic.
However, the content sniffing issue appears to the be the dominant
issue in the case of this resource.

Adam