Re: XMLNS in Inkscape and other editors

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:38:36 -0500
To: Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
On 11/20/09 8:06 PM, Gavin Carothers wrote:
> I agree, it's totally unlikely that anyone meant for the body tag not
> to be in the XHTML namespace. I think it's equally unlikely that
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Book.aspx?ID=13697&locale=en-us
> is meant to be served with no content-type resulting in well...
> disaster.

Interesting.  The only reason that page breaks, looks like, is that the
byte stream starts with the UTF-8 BOM.  If it started with "<!" browsers
would treat it as HTML (or at least Gecko certainly would).

If we had more cases like this I would actually propose changing the
sniffing algorithm to deal, but as it is it might not be worth it.

> The goal of not breaking the web can't only be met by
> browsers.

This is true; however not breaking the web by making incompatible
changes to what they do is somewhat a browser responsibility, no?
Certainly the browser users perceive it that way, and so do many web
developers.

-Boris