Unmangling XML and the XML Core WG (was: XML namespaces on the Web)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:02:49 -0500
To: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, public-html@w3.org
Liam Quin scripsit:

> I'm with John that it'd be better not to call it XML Error Recovery,
> but, e.g. "Web Browser and RSS Reader Recovery For Sad And Pathetic
> Content Vaguely Like XML" :-)

Or even "HOWTO Force Any Old Octet Sequence Into Well-Formed But Possibly
Stupid XML".

> yes, a separate spec talking about a strategy for building a
> XML-compatible DOM out of not-quite-XML input would be fine, I think.

The XML Core WG discussed the question today.  What follows is unofficial,
just what I think I heard there.

I urged the WG to take up the question of writing down such a strategy,
on the grounds that people want it, someone should do it (just once), and
the Core WG has the necessary expertise.  Our staff contact said that in
his view a rechartering would be required to perform such work, as it is
independent of the XML language as such, XML being merely the output of
the process.  I agreed, but further urged that we seek such rechartering.
The question will be talked about further at later Core WG meetings.

I agree with Shelley that the HTML WG shouldn't hold its breath on
this one.

--
You let them out again, Old Man Willow!                 John Cowan
What you be a-thinking of?  You should not be waking!   cowan@ccil.org