Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Smylers On 09-11-09 22.27:

> Leif Halvard Silli writes:
>
>> Smylers On 09-11-09 21.11:

>>> What if it has CSS which makes it look like a button (even without
>>> JavaScript)?
>> First I thought: Stupid question. How it looks should not matter.
>
> How it looks matters for this scenario, pointed out by Stefan Schnabel,
> where instructions say "press the button".  Even if that button is
> merely a restyle link, and all it's doing is making a navigation
> request, users will be consider it be a button:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0699.html

The example that Stefan brought up was that "the manual says
'press the button', but my UA only reports a link". Which, again,
is an example of when using a <button> would not be correct. And
hence, again, it is only confusing to talk about what the author
/should/ have done.

Interesting.

We can conclude that the semantics of role="button" are not equal
to that of <button>.
--
leif halvard silli