RE: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

-----Message d'origine-----
De Leif Halvard Silli
Envoyé : lundi 9 novembre 2009 18:01
Objet : Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

>May be I did not get what you meant.
>But ARIA is an advanced accessibility feature. Not all user agents
>supports it. If we permit @role to diverge in a confusing way from
>the default role of the element, then we risk that old and new
>user agents see the same element differently.

Maybe I was not clear enough in what I meant, let me try to rephrase:

Steve's point was: the spec would not permit us to add @role to an A element
because it's considered possibly conflicting, but we're already adding @role
for tab elements, and for menu item elements.

I would say we're missing the point by focusing on @role="button", as
Steve's original point is broader; which is why I was providing real-world
examples, as was asked by other group members.

I must say, out of sheer honesty, that I have no opinion yet on
@role="button" and see both sides of the argument, but for the rest of
Steve's point, I do agree with him, and wanted to assess that a@role="tab"
is a real-life example, as a@role="menuitem" is, and both would conflit, in
a very strict and theoretical view, with the A element being a link in the
first place.

Which was a way for me of saying "+1, I'm with Steven Faulkner on that one".
:)

--
Cordialement,
Stéphane Deschamps

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.