Re: the MathML comments

Subject: Re: the MathML comments

>>> As this is something that I see us doing again, and without
>>> further discussing what was said previously, can we agree on a
>>> simple factual statement that we accompany such responses going
>>> forward, such as:
>>>
>>> "These comments were collected and reviewed by the working group,
>>> but were not formally assessed for consensus."
>>
>> ... I think most people in the room hadn't had a chance yet to look
>> at the comments but they were already submitted to the Math WG on
>> behalf of the >> HTML WG. It was quite confusing.
>
> ...furthermore, when we started to discuss this, Joe, who would have
> been able to provide some insight into what was going on, wasn't in
> the room yet (and we didn't realize until later that he participated
> in generating the feedback).

Since I went off line before Shelley had totally finished (Sorry
Shelley) and didn't really even think too deep about questions or
comments about the comments. And then I was a bit late for the start
of the meeting. As I said in the review, I like the spec better every
time and it looks like it should work.

BiDi, bidirectionality, and it seems OK to me. The idea is that the
author should be able to specifly directionality per item (like a
sequence of numerals in a number vs. symbols) within a run rather than
only globally. As if you were reading "My name is Joe" from right to
left but wanted to keep the name as written in native, then it would
be "Joe si eman yM". If that is basically correct, then the background
info in the spec, I think, describes it OK for me to get the drift of
that is supposed to happen. But I did not test. Basic text does not
need bidi ever for needed effects(?) With this, MathML does better
bidi than HTML (or X3D) di text; haven't checked SVG..

Shelley, from the live comments at the meeting, instead of using the
borrowed html ns color attr, it should be recommended to use CSS. I
kind of got the idea that  the spec was trying to recommend CSS usage
without actually stating it by direct reference to CSS. So the color
is from the html ns which includes the CSS color property, so using
CSS color:<colorname>;.per element should work.

Sam > Would a set of rules, perhaps even these ones, have helped in
this context?

As I age I think mostly, always wait 72 hours before doing anything.
I hope this all helped advance MathML and the WG process.

> So apologies for the confusion, in particular to the MathML people.
>
> BR, Julian

Me too.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe