RE: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

public-html-request@w3.org wrote on 10/21/2009 06:23:20 PM:

> "John Foliot" <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
> Sent by: public-html-request@w3.org
>
> 10/21/2009 06:23 PM

> "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>
>
> cc
>
> "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
>
> Subject
>
> RE: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.
>
> Thoughts on this thread:
>
> Thomas Broyer wrote:
> >
> > The fact that the developer can technically turn an <a> into a button
> > isn't a justification for making it conforming. If it's not a link but
> > a button, you should use <button> or <span role=button>.
> >

> The fact that we are seeing this in the wild, and that non-conformant
pages
> still render in all browsers (and will continue to do so) is
justification
> enough that ARIA added here should not 'add' to the non-conformance.
ARIA
> is an attempt to provide real solutions to real problems, and if a
developer
> can turn an <a> into a button and have it render on screen, that is a
real
> problem.
>

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > ... a funky custom role
> > on <h1>. But it does seem fairly common to use an <a> element with
> > styling and a click event listener or javascript: URL as a button,
> > instead of as a link. Is it worthwhile for the spec to tell people
> > doing such things that they are wrong?
>
> 1) ARIA is no more 'funky' than microdata - and in fact is much more
mature.
> Bad choice of description.
>
> 2) Having the spec introduce or take advantage of a teachable moment is
good

> 3) Why *can't* any element take an ARIA role if it is appropriate? Given

> the desire to have as much accessibility baked in as possible, this
seems
> like a trivial thing to add to the spec - any element can take an ARIA
role
> if/when required.  Why limit it to a subset of the entire tool-box?
>

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> >
> > Styling h1 to be a button probably isn't a cowpath.
> >

> Right, but it *is* a potential out-lyer, and more importantly, what
*harm*
> is inflicted by allowing the <h_> element to take an ARIA role?

All we are doing is allowing the author to convey their intent. Do I wish
authors would use html elements for their purpose? Of course. That is not
the world we live in. Whether we believe something is a cowpath is really
irrelevant. Industry thought HTML was only for documents in 1998 too.