Re: Automatic XML namespaces

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2009, at 14:26, Jirka Kosek wrote:
>
>> There is also full paper from Balisage conference:
>>
>> http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol3/html/Quin01/BalisageVol3-Quin01.html
>
> Interesting. Quotes from that document below
>
>> August 11 - 14, 2009
>
> Why is it that this reaches public-html only in November?
[snip]
> This function is much better served by Google search.

I'll note that Liam's document was available via Google search.  :-)

Independent of who should have done what and when, I'd prefer that we
focus on the technical aspects of the proposal, and to treat it is an
honest attempt to find common ground, and to look forward rather than
backwards.

[snip]
>> The XML community will not be motivated to support a new specification
>> merely to satisfy the needs of some other community.
>
> But why should the HTML community add Namespaces to text/html merely to
> satisfy another community?

Shame on both of you.  These communities are not disjoint.  I don't want
to hear a "but he started it".  I simply want this to stop.  HTML5 is
certainly not yet cast in stone, and apparently there is some wiggle
room on what can and should be done going forward for XML.  How can we
maximize common ground rather than promulgating historical divisions?

Aria is an example of an extension to HTML5 that works well with XHTML5.
X3D is coming at this from an XML perspective and desperately wants to
work well with HTML5(*).  Canvas started outside of the standards
process, and datagrid and other new elements will undoubtedly be
proposed, quite likely long after HTML5 is completely frozen.  What
common lessens have we learned, and how do we guide the current and
future efforts that we undoubtedly will have?

- Sam Ruby

   http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/11/05/Web3D