Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 2)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:08:57 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

If HTML5 hadn't removed head/@profile we probably wouldn't have this discussion.

> > it's an indicator that a certain extension is used. This is relevant
> > when multiple extensions occupy the same extension point in the
> > syntax.
>
> (I think a better solution is not occupying the same syntax as
> something else is occupying.)

Yes, that would be better. But it's hard to achieve when there aren't sufficient extension points.

> >> The reasons in favor of @profile have been that GRDDL (etc.) uses
> >> it already. How does introducing a
> >> syntactic transformation that isn't recognized by pre-existing
> >> GRDDL (etc.) tools help GRDDL (etc.)?
> >
> > It doesn't. Existing specs like GRDDL and DC-HTML still will have to
> > be updated. But at least now there would be something they *can*
> > transition to. Also do not forget that the proposal makes head/
> > @profile conformant again, so there can be a transition period.
>
> So what's the win compared to not transitioning from @profile?

The win is small, I can only think of:

- by using link/a/@rel profiles could be made scope. (needs work)

- it could be used outside HTML syntax (using HTTP link)

Best regards, Julian
--
DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
16,99 Euro mtl.!* http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02