Re: Fwd: XHTML character entity support

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Geoffrey Sneddon <gsneddon@opera.com> wrote:
> Shelley Powers wrote:

>>> Or they can fail to expand the entities without a fatal error (like Opera
>>> does). Either way, this is exactly the issue. If I understand Alexey
>>> correctly, he wants to remove the downside by having a requirement that
>>> UAs
>>> have the mapping for a handful of doctypes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Simon Pieters
>>> Opera Software
>>>

>> But isn't Opera's approach in violation of the XML specification? I
>> don't consider myself an XML expert, but my understanding is that  an
>> unparsed entity is a fatal error, and an unrecognized entity is an
>> unparsed entity.
>
> It's only a fatal error if you are a validating parser. You're free to do as
> you please with the error you get with a non-validating parser and there are
> external entities in the document.
>
> --
> Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
> <http://gsnedders.com/>
> <http://www.opera.com/>

I don't believe the XML specification differs when it comes to how
validating and non-validating parsers handle XML that is not well
formed. And according to my understanding, the use of an undefined
entity is not well formed XML. Do you have a reference in the XML
specification that provides support for your contention?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I can't find anything
that would back up what you're saying.

Shelley