Re: XHTML character entity support

Sam Ruby On 09-11-01 00.22:

> Adam Barth wrote:

> [Personal opinion]
>
> Given that the HTML5 spec requires every browser to implement features
> like <font> tags consistently, my personal belief is marking such as
> non-conforming mean that validation will only be of an academic
> interest.  And given that the validation rules in place are not being
> driven by those with an academic bent, I don't understand the target
> market for such requirements.
>
> [/Personal opinion]

Microsoft gave us their X-UA-Compatible http-equiv meta tag:

It validates in HTML 4. (I suppose because HTML 4 leaves the
question of http-equiv to where it should, namely to the HTTP
specification.)

It doesn't validate in HTML 5 [1]. But still, our editor
recommends that we use it, if we must: [2]

]] Therefore I recommend not including the meta tag, or, if you
are forced to include it, making sure it says "IE=7", even once
IE8 ships [[

[1] http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/#choosing
[2] http://ln.hixie.ch/?count=1&start=1201080691
--