Re: XHTML character entity support

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
> Secondly, modules can be written more cleanly if it can be checked that
> they explicitly close each tag that they open. If a module leaves a <p>
> tag open at the end of its output, then a second module that only
> outputs inline text will find itself as run-on content in the same
> paragraph.

A reasonable point.

> Lastly, using XHTML is useful if one module needs to modify the output
> of another module. It means that the modifying module can use
> off-the-shelf XML manipulation tools (XSLT, XML parsers, etc).

Yes, I'll grant that's true.  Actually, it looks like when Wikipedia
switches to HTML5, it will stick with well-formed XML (at least at
first) for just this reason.

So I take back that statement.  There are some legitimate reasons to
switch from HTML4 to XHTML1-as-text/html.  But I don't think most
projects switched because of them, and anyway, the rest of my post
stands.