Re: XHTML character entity support

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 16:10 -0700, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
> As noted in
> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#writing-xhtml-documents
>  >, there is no guarantee that authors can use character entity
> references such as &nbsp; in XHTML, because XML parsers are not
> required to process external DTD subsets.

A bigger issue is that even user-agents which *do* process external DTD
subsets are not necessarily going to support named entities; simply
because XHTML5 documents do not link to a suitable DTD defining the
named entities.

> This works in at least Firefox, Safari and Opera

In Safari? That's news to me. Last time I tried looking at an XHTML+RDFa
1.0 document served with an XML media type, named entities did not work.
(The XHTML+RDFa 1.0 DTD defines the same set of entities used in XHTML
1.1.)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>