Re: HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent

On May 28, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Roy T. Fielding
> <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

>>> Please see my post on this thread for why the term "HTML
>>> interpreter" is
>>> inaccurate and grating.
>>
>> I saw it.  I suggest you do a little more research on the term,
>> because Larry is about thirty years ahead of you on that.
>> See Interlisp.
>
> Links are a lot more useful than simply suggesting to "do a little
> more research".
>
> I spent a little time trying to find information about an Interlisp
> interpreter that is different from the kind of interpreter than what
> Maciej was referring to, but didn't find anything easy to digest.
> Links would be helpful.

Some time ago, Larry worked on an Interlisp, a Lisp implementation
that is an interpreter in the classical sense (generates bytecode,
interprets the bytecode). I think Roy meant to imply that this gives
Larry the standing to decide what is and isn't an interpreter.

Regards,
Maciej