Re: Design Principles

Larry wrote:

> some of the comments indicated that while the voter agreed
> to publishing a working draft, there were open issues that
> would need to be resolved in the future; I haven't scoured
> the minutes or mail list to discover whether these objections
> were discussed.

It was in good faith that I agreed in the survey to have the
principles published as a draft. My comment in November 2007 was:

> Thank you for removing the escape clause of "when possible" from the accessibility
> principle and making it a principle in its own right, as well as splitting up the aspects
> of universality.
>
> There is still much work to do on this document (see my comments from the last survey
> on the subject [1]). But this is progress.
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/dprv/results

In that poll I identified seven principles that needed to be dropped
or changed. None of the comments that I raised in
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/dprv/results have been discussed
since the November poll. The "when possible" accessibility escape
clause was removed from the principles prior to the vote. But after,
the accessibility principle itself was abused in the table summary
debate in a manner not unlike what David described in his "no" vote.

We could go on and on debating the principles at length. But at this
point adding a disclaimer to the document and moving on may be a more
productive use of time.

Best Regards,
Laura

--