Re: microdata use cases and Getting data out of poorly written Web pages

Hi Sam,

replying at your invitation for comments
http://twitter.com/samruby/statuses/1762898805

Le 9 mai 2009 à 00:51, Sam Ruby a écrit :
> For better or worse, the HTML WG is operating under a CTR process.
> As far as I'm concerned, no attempt has been made to assess
> consensus on any part of the current draft, at least not to my
> satisfaction.

agreed.

> That does not mean that such assessment of consensus can't be
> obtained rather quickly in many areas, in fact, I'd suggest that it
> can.

The shape of content. Writing is a strong statement. It shows the way
and defines borders. I would agree with the CTR process, if the
document would offer the alternatives between different versions,
explorations.

A way to reach consensus then would be to test what has been deployed.
That would allow us to avoid the logical fallacies.

> I joined this working group as co-chair with a number of personal
> goals.

Mike as a staff contact and you as a chair have been part of the best
things that could happen to this WG.

> subgoals were to significantly reduce the hostile working
> environment that existed in public-html at the time and to provide
> anybody and everybody who wished to an opportunity to pursue
> alternative proposals.

I take blame for that. I'm on the verge of thinking that I should have
not pushed so hard for reopening the HTML WG at W3C. It was either too
late or maybe too early. I don't know, but the communities were
obviously not ready at the time.

> Shelley once referred to this as "put up or shut up", and I will
> admit that there is an element of truth to this.

Not easy. When someone has editing nuclear fire (time, support from a
big company, a "gentlemen" club, etc.) it becomes very hard to come
with a plastic knife. It looks more like "burn or shut up". Great
power should be handled with care. I do not think it is the case for
now.

> My third and final personal goal was to assess consensus.  As to the
> order in which we assess consensus, I have every intention of being
> opportunistic -- taking the low hanging fruit when it is offered,
> and taking on topics when the topic of conversation is naturally
> occurring anyway.

Even before the WhatWG started, I had in mind that we should do an
html 4.2 or 4.5, where we would be fixing simple mistakes which had
been made about the html 4 specification. I was not in the right
position to do that at the time. Mistake. It became a bit more
complex. From the current html 5, I would remove all the pop-culturish
markup (inherited from blog age).  Separate the DOM, remove all the
APIs and put them in separate documents.

I had trust in the past into Ian Hickson's editor abilities. This has
long gone. Ashes. I do not support autocracy. I believe in people.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada