Re: <link> and <param> in SVG (SVG ACTION-2534)

Hi, Robin-

Robin Berjon wrote (on 5/5/09 8:21 AM):
> On May 1, 2009, at 21:13 , Doug Schepers wrote:
>> Correct, we haven't worked out the details, but we do plan to
>> "decommission" @xlink:href, allowing @null:href and/or @null:src in
>> its place. The only open questions, IIRC, are whether @null:href and
>> @null:src can be used interchangeably, or if @null:href is for
>> "outbound" links and @null:src for "inbound" ones
>
> I think that we're much better off with separating the semantics of href
> and src, and not adding two attributes (which then need one to take
> precedence, and complicates generic scripting, etc.).

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Could you restate it?

>> The <param> element would be used, for example, as a child of the
>> <use> or <animation> elements, where it's referencing other SVG files
>> which can take parameters. In other words, it would be used like it is
>> in <object>:
>>
>> <use xlink:href="somefile.svg#someElement">
>> <param name="color" value="cornflowerblue"/>
>> </use>
>
> This is interesting, but may prove tricky. The inheritance of <use>
> content is already expletived up and the cause of a number of
> implementation annoyances (notably caching optimisations), throwing in
> parameters might make it even more complex.

Can you expand on what problems you've seen?

>It might not be ideal, but
> have you considered reusing <object> instead? You'd get <param> free,
> and you could define that for SVG content the inheritance is more
> sensible than that which <use> provides.

Reusing <object> might be interesting, actually... it would match HTML's
syntax, and might add more cross-language consistency for authors.  I've
heard people badmouthing <object> in the past, but I'm not sure what the
perceived problems are.

Doesn't <object> simply block any inheritance?  That is simpler, but I'm
not sure it's what authors would want.  I'm interested in following up
on this, if the HTML WG doesn't have problems with it.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs