Re: Does anyone like microdata?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 8:42 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

>> On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>

>>> The text of HTML5 was all written by me, but I do disagree with several
>>> parts of it. These include, but are not limited to:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> - The inclusion of the microdata section
>>
>> Does anyone agree with the inclusion of the microdata section? It's
>> certainly possible for a solution that no one likes to be the right answer,
>> I would be concerned with a feature that had a constituency of 0. In
>> particular, does anyone think microdata is better than including no
>> solutions to address the use cases at which it is aimed?
>
> For the record, besides the on-list testimonials, I've received some
> off-list feedback indicating there are some others who like microdata but
> would rather not say so directly on the list.
>
> Overall, it seems like microdata has an audience of positive advocates, even
> though various people have reasons to dislike it.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

I beg your pardon, Maciej, but all you asked for in the original email
was to hear from people who liked the microdata section.

You specifically did not want to hear from those who don't like the
section. I hope that you would ask for opinions of all folks,
including an email invite to microformats folks, as well as the RDFa
folks.

In addition, the people who submitted use cases that Ian used to
create the microdata section should also be queried as to whether the
section meets their needs or not.

There was a significant disconnect between the request for use cases,
the introduction of the microdata section, and the query for feedback.

So I'm sorry, but your search for feedback was extremely limited. I
would suggest broadening it, or refraining from making any conclusions
from the few feedbacks you have received.

As for people who do not respond on the list, their opinions are
irrelevant. Either people publicly commit their likes, or they go
uncounted. That is fair and appropriate, do you not agree? Otherwise,
I've heard from thousands who feel positively ill at the sight of the
microdata section. No really, they just don't want to commit online.

Shelley