Re: Why I don't attend the weekly teleconference (Was: Input on the agenda)

On Jun 24, 2009, at 01:39 , Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:
>> When issues come up in the teleconferences, they're usually put on
>> hold because you're not there to provide either opinion or answer.
>
> If there are unanswered questions at every telecon, then having a
> short list of questions as part of the telecon output would be very
> helpful. So maybe that would be a good first step that doesn't
> require anyone to change the communication style.

Perhaps more to the point: this WG is not chartered on the usual
template that relies on telcons that Shelley may be expecting. If you
look at the charter it is clear that communication and decisions are
expressly marked as being made on the mailing list, which is a
departure from the majority of other groups. That difference is not
accidental, it was requested by several participants.

There are cases in which I believe we could get consensus that
synchronous communication is useful. In such cases, when demonstrated
and planned for, I'm pretty sure that we could get most stake-holders
to show up. If there are issues that require synchronous discussion,
and require some specific participants, then by all means raise them
as such. But the general case is, as per charter, that telcons are
optional.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/