Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> File system works.

Maybe.... Let's assume it foes for now.

> Content-Type metadata is defined here:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abarth-mime-sniff-01#section-2

So per this draft, it is in fact not possible to send <video> over
HTTP/0.9, or ftp, or in fact any protocol that doesn't provide an
explicit MIME type....

>> If that's the case, then it sounds like the rules are badly broken and
>> we should fix them.  If not, then presumably we have some rules on how
>> to treat <audio>/<video> in situations when no MIME type is delivered
>> via the network protocol, and should presumably be applying those rules
>> in all such cases, no?
>
> It seems like a bad idea to me, though I agree that the media type situation is not quite ideal.

Thinking about this more, having the rule be "no sniffing" in this case
might not be too bad.  Yes, if an Apache server is not configured in any
way for your video it'll get sent with no type at all and not show up as
video... but it also won't show up as text (which is where we are now).
  And it'll be pretty obvious to you that it's not working and that you
should get your server fixed, especially if web browsers provide nice
informative error messages here.

That all assumes that people actually stick to not sniffing, of course.

-Boris