Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:09:12 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Per the current rules that would give the same result as a bogus media
>> type though. I.e. lack of Content-Type does not give you the right to
>> start sniffing for <video> / <audio>.
>
> So it's also not possible to deliver <video>/<audio> content over
> HTTP/0.9, or over other protocols that have no way to deliver a
> Content-Type header (file:// comes to mind)?

File system works. Content-Type metadata is defined here:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abarth-mime-sniff-01#section-2

> If that's the case, then it sounds like the rules are badly broken and
> we should fix them.  If not, then presumably we have some rules on how
> to treat <audio>/<video> in situations when no MIME type is delivered
> via the network protocol, and should presumably be applying those rules
> in all such cases, no?

It seems like a bad idea to me, though I agree that the media type situation is not quite ideal.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/