Re: Firing media events early for throttled downloads

David Singer wrote:
> At 10:44  +1200 8/06/09, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu
>> <mailto:bzbarsky@mit.edu>> wrote:
>>     I think the right message is "in-page media should not autoplay,
>>
>> I don't think that's the right message.
>
> nor me.  I think the right message is that UAs should have a preference,
> or some way for the user to indicate, what and whether they want
> auto-played media to auot-play.  "Never', "only visible media" (no auto
> sound effects), "Only if I cam from the same site" (I probably clicked
> on a link requesting media),....whatever settings they like.

I guess my key concern is that an implementation such as I described
(where scripted play() and the autoplay attribute do nothing but inform
the user that the media wants to play in various circumstances) be
possible.  That is, it should be possible to have such an implementation
and be compliant with the spec.  It would be good if the spec further
called out the possibility of such implementations in an informative
author-directed note.

-Boris