Re: Activation Behavior of video and audio

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:16:16 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, HTML WG-
>
> In looking into "activation behavior" for the DOM3 Events spec, I was
> reviewing the HTML5 spec.  Currently, the <audio> and <video> elements
> do not have defined activation behavior.
>
> I suggest that they should, and propose that the activation behavior for
> <audio> and <video> is to play if the media is currently stopped or
> paused, and to pause if the media is currently playing.

Why?

The user can pause and play video and audio with the browser's native
controls, or from the browser's context menu, or from the page's scripted
controls.

It should be possible to put a <video> inside a link, and then clicking
the video should just follow the link -- not pause or play the video.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software