Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 20:57:07 -0500
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>,"public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
At 04:41 PM 7/8/2009 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>For these reasons, I think it is helpful to explain the problems with
>summary="", more so than for the other attributes. I think the
>explanation could be either in the section on explanatory information
>for tables, or in the obsolete features section, but either way I
>think it is helpful to provide it.
>
>That being said, I don't really want to micromanage the exact spec
>text. I'm just explaining why I think further explanatory material in
>the spec text is merited.

I agree that further explanatory text is needed, but I am not so sure that
it needs to be so pejorative. There remain members of the WG who would
prefer that a useful explanation of summary be included -- for which I will
gladly write the text if no one else steps up -- which could also include
an advisory that misuse of summary could be harmful.