Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

At 01:27 PM 7/8/2009 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>On Jul 8, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:
>

>>Last time I checked, W3C was supported by public funding.
>
>Actually, the W3C is a consortium funded by membership fees.

I think that you may both be correct.

W3C has an interesting structure. It is a consortium, hosted by prestigious
scientific and academic institutions, which accepts direct and indirect
funds from host institutions, member dues and a variety of donations.
Members are entitled to some benefits, but W3C is not entirely obliged to
its members, and has overridden its membership on technical matters in the
past.