Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:11:07 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote:
> Given the recent changes to the spec, two of the options I previously
> suggested for the vote are now equivalent, so I propose we change the
> options we propose to the working group this Thursday to:
>
>     What do you think HTML5 should say about making complex data tables
>     more accessible?
>
>      ( ) HTML5 should encourage authors to use the summary="" attribute
>          that was introduced in HTML4.
>
>      ( ) The text currently in the HTML5 spec, discouraging summary="" but
>          encouraging other mechanisms for describing tables, is fine.
>          http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tabular-data.html#table-descriptions
>
>      ( ) Something else, described below.
>
>     If you said "something else", please describe it here: [_____]

In this case, you have now excluded the option of making summary
non-conforming, and left two options that say conforming and encouraged,
and conforming but discouraged.  To be fair, we need an option for
non-conforming to be included in the vote.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/