Re: How to make complex data tables more accessible to screen-reader users

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Justin James<j_james@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I think that after reading this discussion thread, that it is impossible to
> perform any kind of test or study of this topic that you would find
> acceptable, given the current conditions (time, budget). In reference to
> testing methodologies, you say, "Remember, we're talking about the future of
> the web, and the accessibility of the web. I'm not willing to trust both to
> something slapped quickly together. I don't think anyone really is. I would
> hope not." But at the same time, you are supporting a solution that lacks
> any kind of evidence that it will be useful. In your statements describing
> what you think would be a good approach, you support it based on certain
> principles, but not actual data.
>
> Basically, I think that it would be really helpful to this group to get this
> clarified. You have set the bar on factual data that you find acceptable to
> a level that you admit is impossible to meet under the current conditions.
> So instead, you are willing to accept things based on thought experiments
> and reasoning? Personally, I would rather have data, albeit not the best
> data.
>
> J.Ja

Data used badly, is far worse than data not used at all. It's more of
a way for a group to abrogate their responsibility when it comes to
attempting to reach consensus. When there is no way of determining the
quality of the data, and the conclusions reached are subjective, than
no, the results are unreliable and biased.

When we rely on reasoned argument, people can look at all of the
arguments and see for themselves, not only the level of commitment
from the community, but whether the argument is strong or weak, makes
sense or not.

More importantly, in the very process of debate, there's a faint hope
that compromise might occur, and consensus reached. Data, as it has
been used in this group, just shuts people out.

Shelley