Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:18:00 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Rob Sayre wrote:
>> On 7/7/09 4:52 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> >
>> > Unless the W3C gains some kind of enforcement power, the implementors will
>> > _always_ have the ultimate veto
>>
>> I think we all understand your personal philosophy at this point. No
>> need to repeat it yet again.
>
> Are you saying I should ignore people's feedback? I think if people put
> forward a request for me to change the spec, they deserve a reply.
>
> --
> Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
> Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

Actually, I'm glad you responded. I wanted to clarify that you're
using a one vendor/one veto approach to determining what goes in, or
doesn't go into, HTML 5.

I don't believe many of us were aware that any one vendor among the
larger browser companies had absolute veto power over the HTML 5 and
its contents.

I'm assuming that the companies that have this veto power are Apple
(Webkit), Microsoft, Opera, Google, and Mozilla. Do I have that right,
or are their other vendors with this absolute veto power?

Thanks

Shelley