Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> > I'm suggesting we make Theora the base codec endorsed by W3C and HTML.
>> > But leave Apple, and anyone else, free to implement additional codecs
>> > such as H.264.
>>
>> I support this position. This is what the HTML5 draft stated when the
>> <video> element was introduced. Bringing it back would heal the
>> community and improve interoperability.
>
> It would do nothing to the level of interoperability we have, and it would
> only heal the community in the sense that giving presents to a child when
> he's upset helps "heal" the child. IMHO.
>
> Ignoring the fact that one of the major browser vendors has point-blank
> refused to implement this part of the spec is not how we make progress.

But if I understand correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong),
the reason they have refused is that Theora:

1) Doesn't have hardware implementations.
2) Doesn't have enough other vendors implementing it.

The only solution to both of these problems is to ensure that the
codec of choice is popular. I haven't heard any strong enough argument
from Apple against Theora that wouldn't be changed once Theora becomes
popular. So the only way to move forward that I can see is to ensure
Theoras popularity. Having HTML 5 endorse theora would be a big step
in that direction (the last point is as I understand it the one you
don't agree with?).

/ Jonas