Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 22:11:55 +0000 (UTC)
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>, robert@ocallahan.org, public-html@w3.org
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Jonas Sicking wrote:
> > I'm suggesting we make Theora the base codec endorsed by W3C and HTML.
> > But leave Apple, and anyone else, free to implement additional codecs
> > such as H.264.
>
> I support this position. This is what the HTML5 draft stated when the
> <video> element was introduced. Bringing it back would heal the
> community and improve interoperability.

It would do nothing to the level of interoperability we have, and it would
only heal the community in the sense that giving presents to a child when
he's upset helps "heal" the child. IMHO.

Ignoring the fact that one of the major browser vendors has point-blank
refused to implement this part of the spec is not how we make progress.