Re: Shifting gears for a second (was RE: Codecs for <video> and <audio>)

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 20:29:39 +1000
To: Chris Double <chris.double@double.co.nz>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Chris Double<chris.double@double.co.nz> wrote:
> On 7/3/09, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  As long
>>  as there is no standard API to access captions for a media file, they
>>  are not exposed to search engines and screen readers.
>
> A standard API for the browser won't do anything to allow the captions
> to be exposed to search engines. They already are exposed however in
> that the search engine can know the format of the media and extract
> the captions.

That would require the search engine to be able to parse the media
formats, which I guess may increasingly be the case.

I was more thinking about the way in which a media resource works that
has captions inside it and that can expose them either as a separate
text file (which can then of course be indexed by a text-only search
engine), or multiplexed into the binary media file. If agree, if the
server doesn't do this, then the browser itself will need to do it to
expose it to screen readers - or search engines will need to do it
themselves.

As I said - there are experiments with ideas happening around captions. :)

Regards,
Silvia.