Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>  >
>>> Because this isn't required for interop, and so it's not critical.
>> Required for interop?  I'm confused.
>
> I mean that we don't have to have a spec to get browsers to all implement
> PNG or DOM2 Core. The whole point of the proposed spec would have been to
> document what interop exists, and what interop browser vendors predict the
> next generation will have, so such a spec by definition wouldn't be needed
> for interop. Thus, since we agree that on the long term it doesn't belong
> in HTML5, it doesn't make sense to add it to HTML5 just to remove it
> later. This is unlike other features that we added then removed later,
> which were added because there was an immediate need for a spec to obtain
> interop amongst interested implementors.

You lost me again, and furthermore you are asserting an agreement on a
topic that I don't recall expressing an opinion on.

The original topic was "required for interop".

If the goal of HTML 5 is to document what interop exists at this point
in time in 2009, then HTML 5 would have no video tag at all; instead
HTML 5 would document how YouTube currently works.

Until other things that are intended to be split out later are, in fact,
split out I don't see any point in discussing further what the final
form of the document will be.

- Sam Ruby