Re: consensus (was: Codecs for <video> and <audio>)

From: Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:19:46 -0700
To: <public-html@w3.org>, "Michael A. Puls II" <shadow2531@gmail.com>
> We haven't voted on anything in ages. How bout we vote on whether or
> not  we want a SHOULD level for Vorbis for <audio> at least?

For Audio, on my litle WavePad tool, as well as a bunch of other
choices not of interest here it gives me outputs for:

Ogg Vorbis (*.ogg) with Stero or Mono
an integer Quality from 1-10, or
a Variable Bit Rate from 96 to 224 kbps

 and

Wave (*.wav) with
PCM and everything from
8 kHz 8-bit Mono 7kb/sec
48 kHz 16-bit Stereo 187kb/sec

For personal I usually use Raw Audio (*raw)
16-bit PCM (BE) 2-channels 96000 samples/sec/channel
(at least it tries and doesn't usually complain until I playback in
7.1 with Sonic WIde and move the mouse).

Anyway, I have experimented some and think that with what I have, .wav
and .ogg can be as good a quality as anything else except .raw, and I
do like the ultrasonics.

So at least on the audio side, I say Yes for both of these as long as
I continue to believe these are open, unencumbered forms.

Just declare that the .wav PCM and .ogg are Required to support HTML 5
<audio> element.

I can imagine <video> being a tougher call, but that is different and
at least we can settle the <audio> element without any big problems
for the browser makers.

Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe