Re: Nothing is really hidden

From: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:19:00 -0500
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
> I understand your point, David. However, when it comes to doing
> something only because of direct interests, I have to escape
> ampersands in URLs because I use XHTML, and it's not in my specific
> interest to do so. In fact, it's a little irritating having to
> remember to do so. And I can't use the HTML named entity for a space,
> either, which is a problem when it comes to some plug-ins and modules
> which make a lot of use of the named entity.
>
> But I make the effort even thought it's a little bit of a pain,
> because to do otherwise will render the page unaccessible to folks,
> such as Webkit/Safari users. And it's important to me that
> Webkit/Safari users can view my page.

Sigh, let's try that again:

"But I make the effort even _though_ it's a little bit of a pain,
because to do otherwise will render the page _inaccessible_ to folks,
such as Webkit/Safari users. And it's important to me that
Webkit/Safari users can view my page. And if you think on it, the
escaped ampersand is _technically_ not visible to anyone, other than
the browser, which renders the URL into a clickable link. At least,
not unless the link is clicked, and then we can see it in the address
bar. But I don't think we think of the ampersand in the link as
'hidden'."

I try to catch typos before sending, but it's not unusual for me to
miss a few. It's not sloppiness, it's just a bad quirk I have with my
writing -- I don't _see_ the problem until after I re-read the text at
a later time.

However, this will be last typo correction, so I don't clutter up inboxes.

Shelley