FW: ACTION-133: Develop an accessibility API and model for canvas as well as attributes to specify alternative content

FYI.

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:55 PM
To: Paul Cotton
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak; Sam Ruby
Subject: Re: ACTION-133: Develop an accessibility API and model for canvas as well as attributes to specify alternative content

Paul,

At this point the canvas working group is in agreement that we need a shadow DOM with support for ARIA semantics. We have some test samples and we need to get browser support to expose the shadow DOM to the accessibility API.

We are also discussing provisions for alternative renderings triggered via CSS 3 media queries in line with what David Singer is proposing for <video>. The reason for this is that the default canvas UI may be complex enough visually that an alternative presentation may often be necessary to be accessible. What is clear now is that some of the needed properties we would need are absent in the current CSS3 media queries specification as well as the the modalities. It would appear that these CSS properties are also absent in David's proposal. I hope to discuss these issues on this Thursdays call.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

[Inactive hide details for Paul Cotton ---12/15/2009 01:12:46 PM---http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/133]Paul Cotton ---12/15/2009 01:12:46 PM---http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/133
Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>

12/15/2009 01:11 PM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

Subject

ACTION-133: Develop an accessibility API and model for canvas as well as attributes to specify alternative content

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/133

This action is due this week. Can you give us a status report? If this will not be done what is a realistic delivery date?

/paulc