RE: ISSUE-76: If we fixed namespaces, does RDFa still have problems?

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:31:43 +0000
To: "Ennals, Robert" <robert.ennals@intel.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 18:46 +0000, Ennals, Robert wrote:
> Then the value of @property is just “x-apple:whatever”. A tool that
> wanted to understand a page semantically could either risk the danger
> of name clashes and assume that “x-apple” means what it thinks it
> does, or it could check for the presence of an xmlns declaration
> saying what “x-apple” means.

Given that the name "Apple" was recently subject to an enormous lawsuit
between Apple Records and Apple Computers, surely this shows precisely
why this couldn't work?

A registration authority is needed to ensure uniqueness of name. RDF
uses URIs, and thus piggybacks on top of a registration authority which
has proved itself to be pretty good: the DNS.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>