Re: Splitting HTML from the HTML DOM (was Re: Renamed topic: focus and length of HTML5)

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:12 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure that anyone is advocating splitting HTML from the HTML DOM.
>>> I'm not sure it's worth discussing in depth unless someone wants to propose
>>> doing it.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> If anyone does want to make that case that some aspects of the HTML spec
>>> should be split from the spec for the HTML DOM, then the burden of proof
>>> would be on them to show that this is (a) feasible and (b) an overall
>>> improvement.
>>
>> re: (a) +1
>> re: (b) -1
>>
>> In the (at present, purely hypothetical case) where somebody wishes to
>> actively pursue this AND demonstrates that it is feasible, then we would
>> need rationales for both sides.
>
> To clarify, what I meant by (b) is that a Change Proposal without rationale
> would not be considered a valid Change Proposal. Thus, the person wishing to
> pursue this would have to provide an initial rationale, before anyone would
> be obligated to provide the opposing rationale.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

I think another area of clarification is that if someone does a
counter-proposal, the person who submitted the proposal shouldn't have
to "address" the issues in the counter-proposal.

We could end up in a never ending spiral if we follow this
proposal/counter-proposal/counter-counter--- well, you get the drift.

We need to find one set of rules, and if we change them, we need to
grandfather older proposals in. For fairness if no other reason.

People putting out suggestions, and carefully written proposals
shouldn't have to jump through an ever changing set of hoops. We're
all here to try and help, not cause problems.

Shelley