Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:38:16 -0600
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> My counter-proposal to keep Microdata in the spec can be found here:
> http://www.xanthir.com/document/document.php?id=83aaf62ce434c4c5bf327ca11ec1433085c7007d70b01242057a84ac4df5da342464667cecc63803d8eb75716dde16d60f1f46a6748b31737c616c8e2d272524
>
> ~TJ

A compelling argument against keeping Microdata in the HTML5
specification is that the HTML5 editor himself, the author and
originator of the Microdata section, doesn't care for the section, and
including it is counter to his own stated interests[1].

Even when the question was bluntly asked, "Does anyone like
Microdata"[2], there were only a handful of positive responses [2].

Even now, even with this counter-proposal, we still see interest in
keeping it in the spec more because of concern that if it wasn't,
there wouldn't be enough interest in keeping it alive. I find that to
be, perhaps, the most compelling argument of all. HTML5 wasn't created
as a container for that, which few want.

Shelley

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0714.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0732.html