the example for footer in the html 5 spec does not fit the definition of
contentinfo in the ARIA spec.

the footer example contains just a link and appears both at the top and
bottom of the example code.

in no way should its use in the example be considered equivalent to the
contentinfo role, and if you think it does, then the contentinfo role
definition needs to be tightened up.
>firstly sorry to answer a question with a question, but where is the
>rationale for allowing multiple headers and footers in a page?

you didn't actually supply a rationale?

>I'm just trying to understand the rationale for why ARIA put the
restrictions the way it did, so that we can put them on the equivalent HTML5
elements as well.

a possible rationale: dividing a page up into large  regions that contain
particular types  of content and/or functionality commonly found on web
pages, provides a mechanism for users to quickly navigate to or ignore a
chunk of the page, before navigating down into more fine grained structures.

>I have certainly seen the <footer> construct in the wild. E.g. on
 >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1293.html

i don't follow?

regards
stevef